Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Saga of the Enormous Chair Continues

Heh, life is a funny old thing. Now, you see, I could have sworn the chair I saw in the store wasn't as tall as the enormous chair that wound up in my living room. My mother, who saw the chair in the store during that time when we bought the "even more enormous chair", also thought the one in the store looked smaller.

Last weekend we bought the one in the store. It was because we wanted to find a second-hand chair that would have similar characteristics for use in my grandmother's room - the idea being that it was a sturdy chair which she might be able to get out of without using some sort of electrical device, thereby giving her more than two items of furniture in which to exist. We also thought it might give her something solid to lean on when she was trying to get out of bed. We haven't had the chance to test that yet, but I think we'll find out tonight. We couldn't find one anyway, so we went and bought the newish one in the shop.

Why second hand? I hear you ask me. Doesn't your grandmother deserve new things? Well, of course she deserves new things. She just doesn't like them. I've never met anyone who was harder to shop for. She'd rather stick with her old, broken chair or her ancient, lumpy mattress than get something new. We thought a second hand chair might slip under her objection radar and be accepted more readily. Besides, we're all mildly convinced she's going to die in one of these chairs, and there's a limit to how much money you want to spend on something you'll have second thoughts about using later.

Anyway, they're the same size. The chair I came home with originally is no more enormous than the chair I thought I was buying. I have no idea why I thought it was smaller in the shop. I still maintain the fact that the other items of furniture surrounding it were equally huge, thus distorting my perception.

Who needs furniture that big? Seriously? Being 178 cm tall and rather long of limb and broad of shoulder, I've always regarded myself as closer to giant than pixie (let's be kind and say Amazon, shall we?), but even I don't need furniture that big. Heck, I have a friend who makes me feel short, and even he doesn't need furniture that big.

Mind you, I do find it easier getting out of the ridiculously large chair than the lower armchairs. I don't feel I have as far to get up...

No comments:

Post a Comment