Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A'Mhara is a poo-poo head

I told A'Mhara I was going to write a post with that title.

Mind you, I told her I was going to write it on her official work blog, after she foolishly gave me permission to post to it.

I guess there's some comfort in knowing that even I'm not reckless enough to put up such a post on the Special Collections blog for the university library.

We had a short, but interesting conversation about the term "poo-poo head". I thought it was interesting that every child seems to naturally produce this insult in some form or another. It's like there is something in human nature that produces an insult which juxtaposes poop and heads - either poop being on the head/brain/face, or the head/brain/face being made of or resembling poop.

A'Mhara told me they use "ka-ka head" in the Northern Territory - which means exactly the same thing, only in pidgin.

I think the final word on the subject goes to Andrew however, who responded thus to my question on how one would spell "poo-poo head":

I try not to spell "poo-poo head". I try not to say "poo-poo head". In fact, we shall never say "poo-poo head" in this office again.

No comments:

Post a Comment