Friday, May 6, 2011

Google Ads

This has happened to me a few times, now:

I'll do a Google search for something, click on a link and get redirected to a completely different page - a commercial page that has absolutely nothing to do with my search (usually trying to sell me cars, or some such), and with something about "jump" in the URL.

When I go back to Google and click on the link again, I get straight through to the page I wanted.

What's going on here? Has Google finally decided that shoving ads and sponsored pages in the middle of your search results and at random intervals in the pages you read isn't good enough, and now they're just going to take you to whatever commercial page they feel like instead of the page you've chosen?

If so, then why aren't they following the usual pattern of choosing "recommended sites" that fit the topics I'm searching for? Sending me to a page about cars when I was looking for "language levels" is sloppy. It's so far away from what I was looking for that I'm likely to notice immediately and go back to my search without being distracted by it.

Also, taking me to sites when I haven't clicked on them is evil. So if this is a Google thing, then they've clearly decided to completely abandon their "don't be evil" mantra.

Which makes me think that it might not be Google. Not because I don't think Google would have turned evil, but rather because I think they would have been less obvious about it.

So who is doing this, then? How are they jumping between my search screen and the page I want to see? How can I make them stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment