Thursday, April 19, 2012

Rætswīn

So, here's something I didn't discover until today:

http://ang.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rætswīn

Wikipedia has an Ango-Saxon version.

There aren't very many entries, and the ones I've seen are a bit short, but still. Anglo-Saxon Wikipedia entries.

Anglo-Saxon is one of the languages I should be avoiding because I find it most diverting.

I studied it for a semester in my undergrad degree, and it has helped me greatly in both my understanding of English and my studies in German and Estonian.

It actually has no resemblance to Estonian at all, but a lot of the concepts I wrestled with when studying Anglo-Saxon (or Ænglisc, as the cool kids are calling it) laid the groundwork for studying other LOTEs. I could, like, totally dig the whole Nominative/Genitive thing thanks to Ænglisc. Of course the no-Accusative/Dative thing was terribly disturbing, especially when mixed with the Partitive/Illative/Inessive/Elative/Allative/Adessive/Ablative/Translative/Terminative/Essive/Abessive/Comitative thing...

One of my ideas for a Masters or PhD project was to create an "Introduction to Anglo-Saxon" book using the same techniques used for modern "Introduction to German" books. Or something similar with Latin and Italian - but to do that I'd have to learn Latin and Italian, and I am so not learning Italian.

I'd have to put some serious effort into learning Ænglisc properly, if I was going to try that project, but I could be okay with that.

Right now, though, I should probably be focusing on Estonian and German, and not letting myself get side-tracked with Anglo-Saxon. Or, you know, Italian. Vabbè.

No comments:

Post a Comment