Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Women's Things

Everytime I think of using tampons (which is, admittedly, not very often), reading the instructions freaks me out and I decide I want nothing to do with them.

I know thousands of women have been using them for years.  I know there are instances in life where they would be entirely appropriate and practical.  They still freak me out.

I mean, you are inserting a foreign object deep into the cavities of your body - so deep that you can't actually remove it yourself.  You need to pull it out with a piece of string.  A piece of string!  What could possibly go wrong?  And you do this knowing full well that, should you be unable to remove this object due to either string failure or some structural flaw in the object itself, you will die a slow and painful death unless you have some medical person of some description go in after it.

This is a possibility that exists every single time you use one of these things, so multiple times a day you are putting yourself into a situation where you may end up having to chose between death and an invasive procedure.  If something goes wrong, there are no other options.

This sounds like something civilised people do (risking embarrassing death for sake of convenience), but it doesn't sound like something smart people do.

You wouldn't (or, at least I hope you wouldn't) insert things so far into your nose or ears that you couldn't remove them without medical assistance - especially if you might die of toxic shock as a result of not having them removed - so why on earth would you do it with your hoo-haw?  It makes no sense to me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment