Friday, November 22, 2013

The Buzz-cut experiment

It's had mixed results.

I spent about a couple of weeks looking at my hair, thinking: "Oh, sweet Lord, I need a haircut!" and then not doing anything about it - to the point where I started to wish I had a set of clippers at home so I could just hack off my own hair when the whim took me.

But, of course, a buzz-cut is hardly appropriate for a girl who keeps complaining about looking androgynous.

Yet, part of me just wanted to see what would happen if I did simply get shorn.  I've wanted a buzz-cut ever since I was a kid (my mother refused to allow it).  And then, someone at work mentioned that his girlfriend had gone to a barber to get #4 cut, and well...

The original plan was just to get an all-over #8 cut and see what happened, but I ended up having an 8 tapering down to a 5 at the back.

On the one hand - not completely horrible.  When I use wax to style my hair, it doesn't look significantly different to the pixie cuts I've been getting for the past year (a bit shorter, but it will grow).

On the other hand, when I don't use the wax I look like an overweight nine-year-old boy (with a bad haircut).

There's a very good chance I'll do it again before I travel overseas for any length of time, but I probably won't repeat it for my next haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment