Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Thou canst thine own space find...

So, this is amusing me:

It's poor form, I know, but I use Google translate to check up on things when I'm trying to compose in German.

It's because I'm exceptionally lazy, and I can't be bothered looking up the grammar rules every time I want to write a sentence that I haven't practised before.  You have to find the appropriate chapter in a text book, then consult a dictionary to work out what gender your stupid noun is in, then try to work out if it's in dative or genative case and go back to the textbook to see what difference that makes...

It's time consuming, just trying to make an informed guess - and then I have no idea if I'm right or not.

In an ideal world, I'd ask one of my classmates or my tutor/lecturer what the right form might be and discuss it with them.  I would use interaction with and feedback from other human beings to help me improve my communication skills.

Right now, though, all I've got is Google.  I think about it.  I try to make a guess based partly on what I can remember and partly on what I intuitively "feel", and then I run various combinations of both the English and German sentences through Google to see what she thinks.

She's often just as wrong as I am, but I figure there are dozens of people helping her get it right, so she's got a better chance than I do.

Anyway, on to the amusing thing:

When you write an English sentence using the word "you", Google tends to default to translating that as the German formal "Sie", and gives you all the verb conjugations to go with it.  It is nigh impossible to get it to give you any of the "du" conjugations once it has decided you must, surely, mean "Sie"...

But you can get around that by writing "thou".

And if Google is still trying to give you the "Sie" verbs, you can get around that by conjugating the English verbs into the "thou" form.

When I wrote "you can find your own space" I couldn't get Google to give me the "du" version of that sentence come hell or high water.

But, when I wrote "thou canst thine own space find", it had no problem with that at all.

Some cleaver bunny behind the scenes has taught Google to accept archaic informal English pronouns and verb conjugations.

I just wish the same person would hack into Reverso, which is my other go-to online resource for German and is also excessively formal.

No comments:

Post a Comment