Thursday, November 5, 2015

Of Mice, Shoelaces, Toys and Books

Well, I've actually started making some toys.  I will be a toymaker, and I shall be a toymaker.  One day I will be able to introduce myself to people by saying "Hi, I'm Sharon and I'm a toymaker".

I'm starting with a pair of pocket mice.

They are "pocket mice" because I'm making them out of the pockets of a recycled pair of denim shorts.  The process has not been without some complications.

I chose to start with a mouse because it's one of the simplest patterns I've found - a simple body with some ears and a tail sewn on.  It's supposed to be made out of man-made fur and felt, but I had the denim scraps handy, so denim it is!

I had only intended to make one, but I stuffed up a rather simple step - reversing the pattern to get both sides of the mouse.  I had two left sides and no right sides.  Fortunately, I may be an idiot but I'm also a thinker, so I just made the same mistake in reverse and decided to make two mice instead of one.

Then there was a slight problem with the tails.

The wool I was going to use to make the tails had been damaged (a storage issue), so I decided to use an old pair of shoe laces I had lying around the place.

As I was tacking the shoelaces in place, it occurred to me that I was actually using a spare pair of laces from my old school shoes - 25+ years after I'd thrown out the shoes in question.  A) I still had the laces, b) I knew exactly where they were, and c) I was getting some use out of them.  If this had actually worked, I might never be able to throw out anything else ever again.

Fortunately, cheap Chinese shoelaces from the 80s actually are crap.  They didn't break on me all the time when I was a kid because I was incredibly strong, they were just rubbish.  So I would have been perfectly justified in throwing them out, and should have thrown them out years ago.

Unfortunately, I discovered this when the tale on my first mouse disintegrated as I was turning the body right-side out.  Replacing the tale would have required unpicking most of the dang mouse, so I just said "This one's a Manxmouse" and left it sans tail.

That, of course, made me want to reread Paul Gallico's Manxmouse, which has a dear place in my heart.  It was one of the first chapter books ever read to me when I was a child - and it was read to me by my aunt when we were on vacation.

I can't remember much about that vacation, but I can remember my aunt reading me this book every night.

I've kept that copy all these years, but I realised that I hadn't actually read it for myself.  So now I'm essentially reading it for the first time.

After reading the first few chapters, I had a brief moment of doubt when sewing the ears on my pocket Manxmouse.  The blue colour of the denim was actually spot on for a Manxmouse but, by rights, if I was making a Manxmouse I should make the ears long and rabbit shaped with pink insides.  My ears were cut out when I thought I was just making a mouse...

I just decided to give it normal ears.  Partly because I already had them, and partly because I didn't have anything pink to turn into new ears.  If I ever make a Manxmouse on purpose, I'll make sure I get the ears right.

I'm starting with the mice.  Then I'm going to try a duck, perhaps.  Maybe graduate onto bears at some point.  The key is to do it again.

I have a tendency to do something once and then neglect to get around to repeating the effort.  If I can make a few mice, I'll get better at the mice.  If I can make a few ducks or bears or what have you, then I'll get better at making toys in general.

When I get to the point where I regularly make toys and feel as if I could say to another person "Yes, I will sell you this toy for actual money", then I will feel confident to say I am a toymaker.


Yeah, yeah, pictures are coming.  Give me a break - I can't think of everything, you know.  Besides I've been too busy taking pictures of the new bike.  Post on that coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment