Friday, June 10, 2016

How to eat an elephant

My biggest problem, I have found, is that I have great systems in place.  I just never use them.

There's an old saying about eating an elephant - it's best tackled one bit at a time.

So, the best way to keep on top of all of the various things I want to do for all of my various life-zones (work, home, hobbies), is to set aside some time during the week/day to do a bit of that.

I know this.  It makes sense.  For ages now, I've had lists of things I should do during the week and on particular days to make sure I eat my various elephants one bit at a time over the course of the week.

If I could only stick to these dang systems, I'd have my elephants mostly eaten by now.

But I don't.  Instead I do it a couple of times - maybe keep things going for a few weeks or as much as a month - but before it actually settles into a habit, I have a legitimate reason to not do it for a couple of weeks in a row, or I'm sick one day and distracted the next... and then it's gone.

A system that isn't implemented is just a suggestion.

And every time I look up, the elephants are still largely uneaten, and the task of eating them seems more and more overwhelming.  Stupid elephants.

I need to do a better job of taking my own advice.  I suspect this may require another personality adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment