Thursday, August 31, 2017

Glutenous

Before I worked out that gluten is not my friend, I was 20+ kilos heavier, tired all the time, constantly feeling like I was coming down with a cold, achy, prone to mouth ulcers and experienced frequent abdominal pains (I shan't go into detail regarding the bowel movements, but they weren't optimal). However, that was normal, so it seemed okay.

Now I know better, but I also know that I can get away with *small* amounts of things I shouldn't eat. The only problem is, I rarely know if I've eaten too much until several hours later. Then the discomfort that used to be "normal" becomes quite noticeable and somwehat inconvenient.

So when I'm going to go somewhere where I know I'll want to eat many things I shouldn't be eating, I'm faced with a bit of an awkward choice:

A) I could try to stick to a "good" diet as much as possible, splurge occasionally, then pay for the splurge with accute discomfort, OR

B) I can just eat stuff I shouldn't eat all the time, and try to zone out chronic discomfort. (In preparation for this, I start eating wheaten things a few weeks in advance, so I'm good and "normalised" before I go. It's delicious, but I feel like crap.)

I've done both in the past. They both suck. But I wasn't going to go to Europe and not eat the pretzels in Germany or the pizza in Italy. And I'm not going to go to the UK and not eat the pasties in Cornwall.

No comments:

Post a Comment