Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A couple of 'ow's

(originally emailed 24 October 2007)

There is pain in my world. I recently a) fell over and b) got new glasses. Both hurt.

There is this weird point when riding my unicycle when I just seem to find a spot where I'm balanced, whether I like it or not. When I hit that spot, I can't seem to tip forwards or backwards without putting in so much effort that I can't control my dismount and I end up falling hard. Sadly, I only seem to find this spot just as I'm about to crash into something and I'd really like to dismount. This was how I found out that my elbow and wrist guards were a good investment. Last night it was how I found out I should have made a similar investment in knee pads.

After whinging for several months about my old glasses giving me headaches, I decided to get new glasses. This is the first chance I've had to use them since I picked them up on Monday. Trying them on at the shop didn't fill me with confidence, and actually using them for a few hours has revealed the sad truth - they are horrible, and my head really hurts now. The weird thing is, I can't say that they are any better or worse than my old glasses. They are definitely different (which might also be contributing to the headaches), but not necessarily worse. A different kind of horrible. I think I'll return them.

My pain is, of course, nothing compared to the pain of others (my grandmother, for instance), but I still like to whinge. Who wouldn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment