Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Applying for jobs is fun!

Okay, applying for jobs is no fun at all.

Unless people act really keen and make you feel very wanted.

When I was applying for work late last year/early this year, there were no nibbles. I sent away many a job application, and got very few interviews. The job I did end up landing (which I have quite enjoyed), I more or less got because no "quality applicants" applied for.

So, I felt good about being offered a job, but felt not-so-good about knowing I was the best of a bad bunch (actually, I don't think there was much of a bunch).

I have a theory that the lack of interest shown had nothing to do with the fact that I was a "bad" applicant, but that everyone was looking for something more. I had been working as a library technician for a year and a professional librarian for a couple of weeks on a locum position. Everyone wanted someone with more experience. No one wanted to be the library stuck with the inexperienced librarian.

Which does, of course, raise the question: how does one gain experience if no one wants to hire you when you are not experienced? Answer: by applying for the jobs no one else would want (the short term, part-time contracts) and being the best of a bad bunch.

Now that I have a year's experience under my belt, I'm much more desirable. I've had prompt contact back from every job I've applied for these past few weeks. Four job interviews so far and counting. I've even got an unofficial job offer (waiting on the official one).

So, I'm feeling much more loved than I was this time last year. Why, give me two years in an ongoing professional position and I'll be downright gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment