Thursday, December 20, 2007

Strange things

Well, this is strange.

I had another job interview yesterday for the Children's Librarian position at Thuringowa. It seemed to go really well - well enough for me to wonder what I would do if I was offered the position and had to choose between this job and the ASC job.

You see, becoming a children's librarian has always been really high on my list of things to do. I love children's literature, I love reading to kids and I enjoy the kind of interaction you have with children and teenagers in a library setting (as opposed to a classroom setting)

But the job in Canberra would offer me the chance to do a lot of professional development, spearhead an information literacy component and help develop a Web 2.0 element for a national organisation. Exciting stuff - and they aren't expecting me to have gobs of experience.

The job in Thuringowa had a higher starting salary, would mean I could stay and help look after my family and not have the added costs of moving to one of the most hideously expensive places to live in the country. The job in Canberra would offer me the chance to break some old habits and build some new contacts - an adventure, in other words.

So, if I was offered the job in Thuringowa I would be faced with choosing between two different paths - both of which I really wanted to take, with two different ranges of opportunities and problems. In one job I could earn more, in the other I could learn more...

Fortunately, Thuringowa just phoned me to tell me I didn't get the job. I've never been so relieved to loose a job I really wanted. There's nothing like the threat of having to make a hard decision to make you truly appreciate having no choice at all.

SB

No comments:

Post a Comment