Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fancy-pants swim suit

So, I've gone and signed up for this half-triathlon thing that's happening in Julia Creek in just over a month (yes, I have completely lost my marbles), and I've started cobbling together something resembling "preparation".

This "preparation" involves swimming/riding/running a few times a week (soon to double) and looking at whether I can do it with what I already own, or if I need to invest in new stuff.

The other day, I rode to and from the pool in my swimming gear. That's when I discovered my swimming gear isn't terribly comfortable for riding. I decided I didn't particularly want to ride 25k wearing it. Running for 5k would probably be just as uncomfortable - if not more so.

Now, I was thinking about what sort of clothes would be comfortable for completing all three legs when I came across a shop in Brisbane which sold "race suits" that were especially designed for such things. Unfortunately, I found this shop online, and I usually prefer to try things on in the store before I buy them. However, Townsville stores seem to be bereft of anything similar, and I was okay with the price and style of the thing in Brisbane, so I handed over my credit card number and had this fancy-pants swim suit mailed to me.

Thankfully, it does actually fit. Once it's on, it's actually quite comfortable(ish). I can definitely see myself wearing whilst swimming, riding and running. I cannot, however, see myself wearing only it. It looks ridiculous. Or, rather, I look ridiculous wearing it.

It's really hard to get on, too. I feel as if I've already managed to get some of my exercise for the day after struggling with the darn thing for five minutes. Oh, and I recently discovered that parts of it go transparent when wet (thank God they aren't important parts).

The getting wet thing was something I wouldn't be able to tell at try-on phase anyway, so I don't feel too gipped.

Of course, now I definitely have to go into some triathlon somewhere - otherwise I just bought a hideously ugly fancy-pants swim suit for nothing.

1 comment: