Tuesday, December 9, 2008

“Feeling special, turk?”

I called someone a “turk” today. Not as a racial slur because he actually was or looked Turkish, nor as rhyming slang* for “jerk”, but as a synonym for “punk” – something that could rightly be considered a little out of date.

Some bloke in a ute decided he was king of the road and didn’t have to give way to some girly on a bicycle, and as he passed I muttered under my breath, “hope that makes you feel special, turk.”

I caught myself doing it and thought, “Wow, that was very 1911 of me. What’s next? Am I going to start calling my friends ‘cobber’ and refer to nonsense as ‘mullock’?”

Apologies to any Turks, or punks for that matter, who might justifiably object to such language. I’m going to claim “too much CJ Dennis”. Can I use that as an excuse?
*****

*Yes, obviously it would fail as rhyming slang because it's only one word and actually rhymes with "jerk". As everyone knows, rhyming slang should have at least two words - the last (rhyming) word of which is consistently dropped. Therefore, if one were to use the word "turk" as rhyming slang for "jerk", one would have to put it in a phrase (such as "Regimental Turk") and then drop the "turk" (so that one would use "regimental" as the rhyming slang for "jerk").

Actually, in that example we'd probably drop everything except the "reg", which would probably then be extended to "reggie" or "reggo" (pronounced "redge-o").

It's not supposed to make sense. Stop expecting things to.

No comments:

Post a Comment