Thursday, August 19, 2010

Stylin'

Every now and then, for no real reason, I just like going to work dressed like I'm a character from Neighbours in 1992.

Not a specific character, mind. It's not like I set out to be one of the Blakeney twins, or anything. I just assemble an outfit, take one look in the mirror and think: "Man, I look like I was dressed by whoever was styling the cast of Neighbours in the early 90s".

It's a combination of factors, you see. My pants sit higher than the fashion would dictate (especially when I'm holding them up with braces), and look more and more like they would fit in better in the early 1990s as the colour fades. They're also a bit long and instead of letting the cuffs get ripped from dragging along the ground (as is more the current fashion) I roll them up - also a bit symptomatic of the early 1990s. White sneakers and socks? Barely out of the 1980s. White v-neck T-Shirt? Well, quite frankly that could belong to any given era, but the fact that it isn't a fitted T knocks it back into the last century.

And then, to top it all off: the vest. I think the vest actually comes from the 1990s. I bought it years ago from a "vintage clothing store". It's one of the few things I own that might have been vaguely trendy, once. Most of my other clothes were born dorky.

So, a black vest over a white T-Shirt/blue jeans combo with white socks and sneakers, high cut pants and rolled up pant cuffs (and braces - not that anyone really notices that bit)...

All I need is a pork-pie hat and I could move right into Ramsey Street, circa 1992. Or maybe Degrassi High, although I think I might be a bit too dorky for that.

I see this and think: "Hey, my sense of style is clearly 18 years out of date. How much fun is that?" And then can't be bothered changing. Sadly, I'm somewhat aware that this is probably the sharpest I've looked all week. Plus, no one at work actually notices, which says volumes about the way I usually dress.

Mind you, I still have a hankering to come to work dressed like I'm a background character from Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman one day. I wonder if anyone will notice?

Well, they're bound to notice the skirt, because I can't wear a skirt to work without every second person commenting on the momentous occasion (which is one of the reasons why I rarely wear skirts), but would they notice the rest of the anachronism? That's the question.

3 comments:

  1. Love the new book background - its probably been there for ages, but I haven't clicked away from my reader for a awhile. I'm getting a very 90's vibe from your description here. Lose the vest and braces, swap the pants for Levis 501's and fire up the doc martins and you have my 90s look. Until the hippie thing came in a bit later on. Then I was all over the floral dresses. With little bells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well I did notice your vest (very nice) and I did notice you were wearing a skirt (it's not the first time) but was not one of the people who felt compelled to point out you had a skirt on, but I will next time if you want me to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No need. I'm usually aware of the fact that I'm wearing a skirt (when I'm wearing one)

    ReplyDelete