Thursday, February 24, 2011

Beer and Chocolate

This may seem a bit odd, but I seriously miss the beer and chocolate from Estonia.

I was looking at an Estonian website when an ad flashed up for Kalev chocolate, and I felt... I'm not sure, really. Deprived? Nostalgic?

My first taste of Kalev chocolate was on the third day of my cycling tour in 2009. I was starvingly hungry and in desperate need of lunch, but lunch had to be caught and cooked first (that's what happens when you order fish and chips at a fish farm). I grabbed a chocolate bar while waiting and wolfed it down. Then I grabbed another one to eat later (when I could enjoy it) because it was really good.

I think I probably managed to eat Kalev chocolate every second day from that point onward, and took some rather large blocks with me when I left the country (for sharing with friends and family, of course).

And then there was the beer. Apart from the fact that the Cider marketed as "Strongbow" in Estonia was much better than the "Strongbow" in Australia, I think I managed to sample the major local brands and at least one "boutique" beer while I was there. I have to say Saku beers quickly became favourites, and I quite liked the porter made by Palmse as well.

Ah, Palmse - I loved that place. It is a definite goal in my life to get back there one day.

So in the three weeks I was in Estonia, I managed to get oddly attached to the beer and chocolate. Haven't been able to sample either since. Bit sad, really, but there it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment