Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Losing Team

I have two hats with the word "Fury" on them at home. One is a proper cost-me-$25-from-a-merchandise-stand hat, the other is a $5 cheapy I picked up from an in-store display. I'm not sure they were actually meant to be for sale, but I asked and they sold it to me.

The "real" hat was my celebratory hat. I bought it when the Fury won their first home game, and decided that I would wear it whenever they won. The other had was sort of my way to still show support even if they weren't winning. I wore the cheap hat a lot.

I think I'm going to have to rethink my "winning hat" and "not winning hat" strategy from now on, due to the fact that my team has permanently lost.

The thing that really urks me - that urks all of us in North Queensland - is the fact that it was painfully obvious FFA had no real intention of letting us continue. This for the past six months.

For six months (at least) FFA has been dangling an impossible carrot in front of the team - effectively saying "oh, yeah, of course there's a chance you will survive, you just have to do this thing we all know you will never be able to do, without any real sense of support from us".

We all feel as if the FFA wanted to axe the team after the last season, but also wanted to look like they were trying to give us a chance. "Oh, look, fans of this team, we are supporting your team as much as we can, so don't hate us when we inevitably kill it."

It would have been so much fairer to everyone - especially the players and staff - if they had said "Right, this is definitely your last season. Make the most of it and find a new job next year".

Sure, we would have hated them for not giving the team a chance, but we hate them so much more for jerking everyone around.

Man up, FFA. If you're going to put the cat down, then put it down. Dragging out the process out didn't make anyone look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment