Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Yay, Shaun!

Shaun Tan has been awarded the 2011 Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award!

In response to this news, I can only say: "Whoot! Whoot! Huzzah! Yay, Shaun!"

I quite like Shaun Tan. His The Arrival is one of my favourite books of all time. It's one of the few times I've picked up a book in the library, and had to go out and buy my own copy because I couldn't imagine not having it in my home. It's just magnificent - and also impossible to read to anyone. If you find a copy of the book, you'll find out why.

The man is just brilliant. He shares a spot on my bookshelves with Graeme Base, as writer/illustrators I love to pieces and can't live without.

As the award website says "He combines brilliant, magical narrative skill with deep humanism".

He deserves to receive an international honour. That's all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment