Thursday, February 28, 2013

And... I'm a Geek

So, today I was in the middle of showing a group of students how to limit a search in Medline (via Ovid) for use in their Pharmacy Honours research project when I suddenly noticed that you can now limit to results in Esperanto.

This makes Medline (via Ovid) the second major database I know of that will give Esperanto as a language option (Proquest is the other one).

I may have stopped briefly in the middle of my class to indulge in a small happy dance and an exclamation of "Oooh!"

They may have been so used to my saying crazy stupid things just to keep their attention that they didn't even bat an eyelid.

I can't help but wonder how much medical research is written in Esperanto.  Near as I can figure out, most of the research conducted in Esperanto is also about Esperanto.

I'd love to know what the major areas of Esperanta medical research might be, so I can try a search.  I have a feeling that if I just start looking for my "normal" search tests, like "constraint induced movement therapy" or "rotator-cuff injuries in overarm sports" I might just be wasting my time.  It's a bit like googlewacking, I guess - searching for random things just to see if you actually get a result.

Now, if it was Interlingua, on the other hand, I know I'd at least get some articles about spectroscopy...

Ooooh!  I've just discovered Medline (via Ovid) also offers Interlingua as an option...

No comments:

Post a Comment