Tuesday, June 25, 2013

And now I will never know

I've come to the conclusion that I only ask questions of a certain unit coordinator if I never want to receive a clear answer or a useful reply of any description.

I base this on the fact that I have never yet asked her a question in which she didn't take great pains to fully explain something that did not, in fact, answer my question at all.

I don't know why this is.  I sometimes suspect she isn't actually reading my question, but only scanning it for keywords - or that she is, in fact, willfully misunderstanding me.

It's either that, or she is on such a completely different wavelength to me that she cannot understand why I would want an answer the the question I have asked, and therefore tries to answer a different question instead.

It's the kind of situation where, if I asked, "do I need a carrot for this salad?" she would respond: "salads are known to have both fruits and vegetables in them."

Now, this could be a subtle way to say "I can't advise you on this, because deciding whether or not to include a carrot is part of the activity", but surely you don't need to say that subtly - you can come right out and say "you must chose for yourself if carrots are needed," can't you?

Or, even better, you could say "carrots are advisable" or "carrots are inadvisable" or "carrots make no difference one way or another".

Any of these things would be better than not talking about carrots at all.

Yet, that is how she answers the vast majority of questions:  by not answering them at all.

I have this wonderful communicator again this semester (part two of The Most Frustrating Subject I Have Ever Undertaken) and I have been trying to ask her questions about the practicum for months, now.  We were finally given access to the prac booklet and told to decide where we wanted to go within a week ("I must not fly all the way to Armidale just to shake a lecturer.  I must not fly all the way to Armidale just to shake a lecturer...")

"Oh joy and bliss!" I think to myself, "There's an actual practicums experience office!  I can ask practical practicum related questions of people who aren't frustratingly vague!"

So I fire them an email asking a couple of basic questions... and they write back saying my email has been forwarded to the unit coordinator.

A couple of hours later the unit coordinator sends out a generic email to everyone that doesn't really answer either of my questions.  Is this because she simply hasn't gotten around to answering me yet, or is this the best I'm ever going to get from her?

Will I ever know?


No comments:

Post a Comment