Friday, September 13, 2013

Wii is a stupid name

So, I have recently decided it's time I became a gamer.  I've been thinking about it ever since I was a kid and my mother wouldn't let me have an Atari.

It's been a long time coming, but I'm a late adopter.  I bought a netbook just after tablets took off.  I recently bought a DVD recorder, now that most devices record directly to USB (I really wanted another VCR, but they stopped making those).  I'll probably buy an iPad 2 soon...

So, in keeping with my inability to commit to knew technology, I've just bought a Wii.

Yes, that's right, a Wii.  None of your fancy-pants Wii U thingy-whatsits for me.

I ordered it online because they've stopped stocking the bundle I want in my local shops, so I haven't actually got it in my physical possession just yet.  All in good time.

I really like buying stuff online because I can't have it instantly.  There's something wonderful about expecting things, rather than just having stuff.  It makes mail interesting.  It does make me sad about not using my local shops, but I'd order stuff from them if they had better web sites.  But I digress.

I have actually been avoiding buying a Wii for many years now, because Wii is a stupid name.  I probably would have jumped much sooner if they'd stuck with "GameCube".

It's still a stupid name, but it's also less than half the price of a Playstation3 - and if I'm going to buy a seventh generation consol just as all the eighth generation stuff comes out, I'm darn-well going to buy a cheap one.

I actually want a Playstation for the playing blueray-DVDs-etc capabilities, but I can't be bothered getting a PS3 now and I'm going to wait until the PS4s have been around for a bit before I get one of those.

By then I'll probably been a confirmed Nintendo kid and never switch.  Do you know Nintendo used to make playing cards back in the 1800's?  That pleases me greatly, for some reason.

They also owned a chain of "love hotels" in the 60's, but I digress...

No comments:

Post a Comment