Thursday, September 12, 2013

Memoro

He doesn't remember what I've told him.  He will ask me questions I have answered several times in the past.  Sometimes he remembers the story but forgets I was the one who told it to him, and will then tell me this story "someone" told him once.

He doesn't remember what he's told me.  He will tell me the same piece of news several times, and each time it will be like he's sure he should have told me, but probably hasn't:
Him -- "have I told you I'm doing this thing?"
Me (aloud) -- "yes, yes you have."
Me (in my head) -- "we've had multiple conversations about this, several initiated by me asking 'how's that thing coming along?'"

He has asked me for my contact details something like five or six times - even though they haven't changed.

We can go for almost a year without being in contact, and when I send him an email (I initiate contact about 95% of the time) I swear his answer sounds vaguely like "Oh, that's right, you exist!  How are you?"

I visited him on a holiday, and in the course of conversation it became obvious he couldn't remember that I had crashed on his couch before.  Twice.

We went some place together, and I walked over to look at something.  When I turned around, I noticed he had lost me - even though I was only 200 meters away and was looking straight at him.  In the two minutes I was out of his sight, he had completely forgotten what I looked like and was trying to recognise me in the crowd.

He's known me for years, but I'm not convinced he has any idea who I am.

And then, out of the blue, he will give me something he bought because he found it in a shop and thought of me - something that's so completely spot-on he clearly remembers things I'm interested in, even if he can barely remember me.

It's hard to peg.  Is his memory just working on a different level, or am I just not something worth remembering?

No comments:

Post a Comment