Saturday, August 31, 2013

Yes, I am intolerant

This is the content of an email I probably should answer, but don't want to:

help apprec tku Mary-Anne this is journal i I am trying to access.. please advise .. I hv found journal but cannot open..this is it: Publication title: Capital & Class Coverage (any format): Spring 1991(no. 43) - present Show format availability Full text available ISSN: 0309-8168‎ Subjects: Business And Economics ; Political Science

"Mary-Anne", by the way, is the name of the person who wrote the email - not the name of the person it might be addressed to.

Here's the thing.  I know what this person wants.  It is in my power to decipher the convoluted reference she has given me (copy and paste from one of our pages, but taken way out of context) and help her find an accessible version of this journal.

But I really don't want to.

I just feel compelled to punish her for clearly forgoing any attempt to think about what she wants to say before writing and submitting an email.  The point of written communication is that you have the opportunity to say "could this be better?" and make some improvements before forcing someone else to read your poorly constructed writing.

I want to punish her for not taking the time to say "my name is Mary-Anne" or "I'm Mary-Anne", but thinking anywhere in the "sentence" is an appropriate place to throw in her name.  I want to punish her for using two full stops at the end of every half-formed sentence (why?  Where is this something people legitimately do?).  I want to punish her for assuming she doesn't have to spend time on making her meaning clear, because I will spend my time filling in her gaps and working it out.  I want to punish her for thinking this is an appropriate way to ask a complete stranger for help.

We don't write emails like this.  It's obnoxious but forgivable when used in chatrooms and discussion boards, because chatrooms and discussion boards are full of people who are too busy/lazy/stupid to think and type and the same time.  You, "Mary-Anne", are a university student who has written to a librarian for help with your research.  Take the extra minute to think about what you want to say before you hit send.

1 comment: