Monday, October 28, 2013

Pray for Grace

There's an old joke that has been stuck in my head for years:

Sunday School Teacher:  "Now, Johnny, why do we pray for Grace at the start of every meal?"
Little Johnny:  "Um, is it because she's been a very naughty girl?"

I've been thinking a lot about grace, lately.

"Saying grace" is something my family used to do by rote back when I was a kid, but we let it lapse years ago.  It was a formulaic chant that was more habitual than sincere.  I think we stopped saying it because we had long stopped listening to it.

Whenever I hear other people "saying grace" or "asking for grace", I'm always struck by how often it seems like a formula, rather than a prayer.  It's like we, as a society, "say grace" (if we do) because that's what our parents made us do, and what their parents made them do, and so forth.

But...

Why should we pray for grace at the start of every meal?

Well, I guess that depends on what praying for grace actually means.

I mean, what it *means*.  To us, as people.  Forget doctrine and tradition, where does saying grace at the start of every meal touch on something we need for our souls to be nourished and our lives to be better?

Once upon a time, when food preparation was a bit hit-and-miss, we probably asked God to make sure our food kept us alive and didn't kill us.  And, when it was not certain that there *would* be a next meal, perhaps we were a bit more grateful for every plateful...

But in this day and age?  In our overstuffed, oversupplied and (let's face it) oversafe society?  When we can afford to eat badly not because we have to but because we want to?

If we don't need to care about whether our food will kill us, or where our next meal is coming from, do we still need to pray for grace?

Yes.

More than ever.

Because it's too easy to stop thinking about what we are putting into our bodies.

We need to take a moment, just before we stuff food into our mouths, to reflect on what it is that we're eating.  To think about where it came from and what's in it.

We need to take a moment to reflect on what the ingredients are in our food and ask ourselves if we can be grateful for what they will do to us.  Will eating this bring life to my body, or will it bring me joy in savouring the flavour?  If this is good for me, I should be grateful, and I should take the time to be grateful.  If this cannot bring me health or joy, then why am I eating it?

More importantly, though, we need to take a moment to reflect on what has gone into putting this food on our plates.

Am I eating something that was once alive?  What kind of life did it live?  What role did I play in the quality of its life (was it miserable because people just like me are more interested in convenience than kindness - could I be making a positive change in the lives of my fellow creatures by choosing different kinds of food)?

Where did it come from?  Am I happy with the journey this food has taken, and do I know what the consequences are?  Does it make a difference if my kiwi fruit comes from Italy or my mangoes travelled the length of the state twice?

Regardless of whether or not I can do anything about how my food was produced and transported, I should "hold it in the light".  The more I care about the food I eat, the more likely it is that I'm going to make better choices - to eat food I can be happier about - and be grateful for my ability to choose, as well as my food.

And, speaking of gratitude, whole chain of people have worked to bring me this food.  From the farmers who grew it to the packers, transporters and shopkeepers who brought it into my life.  A lot of my food is pre-packaged, which means a large team of people has also prepared it and cooked it for me.  I should take the time to be grateful for these strangers who are touching my life in this way.

When I eat with my family, usually someone I love has prepared the food for me, or someone I love has shouted us out to dinner.  I should take the time to stop and be grateful for these people who are so dear to me, and with whom I am sharing this meal.  And, if I have made this meal myself, for my family or friends, I should take the time to be grateful that I can do this for the people I love.

I've long stopped "saying grace", but lately I've been thinking it.  As I sit down to eat, I take a moment to think about what it is that I'm eating, and be grateful.  I forget to do it more often than I'd like - but on the other hand I worry that, once it becomes a habit, it will become habitual and I'll forget to mean it.

Is this food good for my body, my soul and my world?  If it is, I should be grateful.  If it isn't, what shall I do about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment