Monday, December 9, 2013

The good that I would...

I have plans.  Great plans.  Good plans.  Plans well founded in theory, well intentioned and reasonably well thought out.  Plans that are entirely reasonable, entirely achievable and not even remotely falling into the "you're-asking-too-much-and-this-will-never-work" category.

I have the same slight flaw with all of my plans - I don't actually do anything about any of them.

I know exactly what I need to do in order to revise my language stuff ahead of next Trimester.  It involves simply, but practically, going over a few exercises every day and brushing up any grammar rules I might have forgotten.

I've been intending to do this every day since the beginning of November.  So far, I've done it once (and then, only half the amount of work I intended to do that day).

I know exactly what I need to do to achieve the perfectly reasonable fitness goals I've set for myself.  It involves going for a 20 min walk every day and replacing that walk with a run (or a swim, or something else if I feel like it) three days a week.  Good plan, right?  Perfectly achievable.  Nothing too taxing about that at all.

I get through entire weeks without managing more than a single run and a couple of incredibly slow ambles up the street with my incredibly slow dog.

I know exactly what I need to do to improve my productivity at work.  It involves writing short lists of achievable tasks and scheduling time dedicated to doing nothing but a single task on that list.  So very rational and doable - every second magazine article on time management will give you this sort of advice.

Most days I barely remember to write a list.  By the end of the day, I can rarely cross anything off it.

In my head, I've got it covered.  I know exactly what I need to do, I've given myself achievable goals and all I have to do is pick the low-hanging fruit to make my life 100% more useful and effective.  Once I get the ball rolling, and the habits formed, I'll be miles ahead.

It's just getting the ball rolling that's the problem.

I think I might be sitting on it...

No comments:

Post a Comment