Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Another unnecessary bike...

Can I be considered to have a collection of novelty bicycles if I currently only have two?

Yes, I also have a couple of "normal" bicycles, so I could be considered to have a collection of bikes.  I also have a couple of unicycles so I could be considered to have a collection of novelty cycles.

If you include the Micro scooter, I clearly have a collection of human powered vehicles (although I feel I should buy a trike or a rickshaw to flesh out that claim - or maybe a canoe).

But, novelty bicycles?  I've just got the penny farthing and a folding bike.

Some may not consider folding bikes to be novelty bikes, they're just bikes that do a specific thing.  But seeing as most people who see the Brompton for the first time regard it as a bit of a novelty, I'm willing to say:  folding bike + antique replica bike = almost a collection of novelty bikes.

However, part of me is sure a collection should have at least three things in it.  Which may be one of the reasons why I want this, even though I already have a folding bike:


Or maybe I just want it because it sits in that lovely space between art and bike.

I look at most folding bikes and say "the Brompton has a much better fold", but the IF Mode just looks pretty, so I almost don't care.

Mind, the Brompton does have a much better fold...

I just need to find a spare AU$3000-$4000 to spend on something that's not going to be as good as the thing I already own.

No comments:

Post a Comment