Friday, May 9, 2014

Semi-final 1, 2014

Here in Australia, we get our Eurovision experience distilled into one sequin-filled weekend.  So I've only just seen the first semi-final, even though Europeans would have seen it earlier in the week.

And my over-all impression is:

Meh.

I know music videos of all the songs are available well in advance of the competition, but I like to experience it "live" first, so I usually only look at the Estonian video and maybe one other before the Big Weekend.

This year's entry for Estonia struck me as being, well, nothing special.  They were okay, I just didn't particularly think they would wow the audiences enough to get through to the final - and I was right.

What I didn't know was that they would be sitting amongst a whole bunch of forgettable songs.  I honestly think that the Estonian number was probably stronger than some of the others that got through.

The Netherlands was good - I really enjoyed that one and I'm glad it got in.  Sweden wasn't bad and Aremenia had an okay song (although the singer was off-key for part of it).  I was happy to see San Marino get through this year (and I thought they had one of the better songs on the night).

The real shame was Portugal.  Their song was a) good and b) one of the only songs not in English.  For some reason the songs in English are usually just a little bit boring.  But they didn't make the cut.

In the end, though, I found myself unsuccessfully trying to remember any of the tunes an hour after the show.  All I could get was Estonia's "Amazing".  That could have been because the song actually had one of the strongest hooks in the field, or it could have been because it was the only one I'd heard twice.

In the five years I've been watching Eurovision, I think Baku has had the best set of songs.  Copenhagen is proving to be a bit boring, really.

Fortunately we have Austria tonight.  That should liven things up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment