Thursday, March 5, 2015

Bring back the buckler

Negrini's Buckler
I started this year with great plans to get more involved in fencing.  I was going to make a more concerted effort to get there every week - and even try to go twice a week as often as I could.

Then gall bladder decided it wanted my full attention.  When I was told I'd have to have surgery to remove it, one of my first questions was "what about fencing?"  To which I was told that it would be at least six weeks.

It has been four, now, but I'm not 100% sure I'll be ready to go back before the end of the month - and largely because I'm right handed.

You see, I have a strange desire to avoid being poked with a sword in any of the places where I have a healing/recently healed wound from the operation.  I have four of them.  And they're all on my right side.  And they are all in locations where my chest-protector won't cover them.

Thing about fencing is that, if you are right handed, you lead with the right side of your body.  Basically, your entire torso on the right side of your body is a target area, and kind of close to the other guy with his pointy thing.

And you really only have your sword to protect yourself.  Women are also expected to have a chest protector, but that really only protects one's boobies.  If you are a good fencer, then your sword should be enough to protect your torso from being poked with a large metal stick.

I am not a good fencer.

I was thinking about this today when I suddenly wished I could fence with a buckler.  Partly, this was just because a buckler would add one extra layer of protection, and also allow me to lead with my left side while still fencing with the sword in my right hand.

And then, because this is the way my brain works, I started wondering how one would fence with a buckler.

I know the HEMA folk do it all the time, but that's a different kettle of fish to sport fencing on a piste.

I think, sticking otherwise with standard fencing gear that is already on the market, the addition of a buckler could make a new "weapon" (or discipline) that could be quite interesting.

Okay, stay with me on this one:

Take a normal sabre (because a cutting weapon is most appropriate), a sabre mask and a foil lame.  Then stick a buckler in the other hand (you can buy them from Negrini, but I'm not sure about the other manufacturers).  Combatants must get past the buckler to score a hit on the head or torso.

Because it will be hard enough with the buckler anyway, it shouldn't need to be a right-of-way thing.  As long as they can hit the target with a sword, they get a point.

Apart from that, all standard fencing rules apply.

You'd need to think careful thoughts about your plastron, but some companies already make plastrons that cover both sides.

This could be done, and it could be done quite simply.

It probably won't, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment