Friday, March 27, 2015

Make it Monday

This is a crazy idea that will never work - but I thought it was worth trying and I'd like to invite you to join me in giving it a red-hot go.

I want to make stuff.

This is a long held desire of mine.  I want to have useful, practical skills that will still be useful and practical after the Great Wipe (the time we all know is coming:  when a solar flare takes out all of our electronic-based technology [or eLives] and we have to go back to doing real things).

I also want to make pretty things.  You know, art and stuff.  Just because.

The trouble is, my desire to make things doesn't seem to get past my lack of ability to actually do things.

"I will do it."  "I shall do it."  Except, at no point in time to I actually progress to "I am doing it".

It could be a lack of true motivation.  A "real" writer writes that novel - nothing can stop them.  A "real" artist paints because they must paint.  A "real" maker of things would be driven to making things.

If I don't do what I want to do, then maybe I just don't want it enough.

However, I'd like to think it's actually a scheduling issue.

I don't do anything because I never give myself an actual time frame in which to do it.

I always think "I'm totally going to do that thing", but I never think "I'm totally going to do that thing this Tuesday".  As a result, the weeks just slide by and I end up not doing anything.

So, I'm going to pick a day.  At the moment, I'm thinking of Mondays.

On Mondays, I will make things.  I'm going to start by seeing if I can finally finish some cross-stitch I have lying around the place.  And maybe try to do a few water colour exercises to make use of the fact that I actually took a course last year.

We'll see how we go.  With any luck, I'll be posting pictures of projects actually completed (rather than simply thought about).

I invite you to try it as well - pick an actual day when you commit to doing something you always meant to do, but never get around to doing.  Tell me if it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment