Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Toys R Addictive

Confession time – it has been several Mondays since I mentioned my plan to try to set aside a night a week to make things, and so far I haven’t made a blessed thing.

Well, I did decorate an Easter tree with hand-made paper baubles, but I’m not counting that.  There’s craft and then there’s craft.

However, I have developed a new hobby – obsessively staring at toys to see how they were made.

I’ve lost the ability to walk past a teddy bear.  I have to pick it up and pour over it to see how its butt was stitched together.

I’ve been borrowing books about toy making from my public library – which is the way I usually take up new “hobbies”:  vicariously, through books.  Sure, I haven’t made anything from any of the books yet, but I have developed a much better understanding of and appreciation for how toys are put together.

Most soft toys are actually remarkably simple, and the more I look at them the more I think “I could do that!”

Of course, as someone who hasn’t touched a sewing machine since high school (and was particularly bad at sewing at the time) I may be completely delusional.

But, still.  Even if I haven’t graduated onto making toys as a hobby, I’ve well and truly taken up looking at toys as a hobby.  It’s not as active, but oddly addictive.


No comments:

Post a Comment