Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Baltic Times

Hmm...

It seems the Baltic Times have changed their online policy.

Used to be that you could read the entire main-article for every section of the "paper" for free, plus the "In Brief" sections for each country.

Now, even though the link still says "full story", you don't get the full story. If you want to read more than the first paragraph you have to pay for it.

This is, in it's own way, fair enough. I've been content to read the free bits for over a year, so I've essentially been sponging off the paper without paying a cent for some time now. If I still want to read the paper I should be willing to pony up some cash for the privilege.

What urks me, though, is the way they don't give you the complete first paragraph of the story. They cut halfway through a sentence, resulting in things like...

Very annoying. Okay, sure it's a way to prick the readers' interest so that they'll want to subsribe to the paper and read the whole thing, but I think it's only fair that, if they are no longer going to let you have any full articles for free, they should at least make sure they parts they give you have complete sentences.

Sadly, reading the free version for a year hasn't convinced me I'd get my money's worth out of a subscription, so I may have to content myself with half-finished sentences in order to stay appraised of the news in my "other" country. Either that, or find another online English language newspaper focusing on the Baltics...

No comments:

Post a Comment