Sunday, March 9, 2008

Mary Poppins, coming down.

For a while now (about four years, give or take) I've been secretly thinking of myself as Mary Poppins.

Not just because I'm "practically perfect in every way" or because I burst into song at the drop of a hat, but because I seem to be living a very temporary existence. I blow in for a short period of time, and blow out when the wind changes. In the mean time, I'd like to think I try to leave the places I've been slightly better off for having me there.

This doesn't always work. In spite of my good intentions I have left a few places a little worse for having me there, rather than better for it, but I try to be at least friendly and polite enough that no one can really hate me - even if I deserve it.

Anyway, it seems as if I might be staying still for at least a year. Possibly longer. In the same place where I've already been staying for a whole year. And by choice.

All these things seem strange and new to me. Like Mary Poppins renting out a cottage while she runs the local preschool for a year.

And the weird thing is, I had a chance to blow away again. I was offered a really good job in another town. I really wanted to take it too, but I realised I'd probably be looking to blow away again in another year or two, and that wouldn't be fair to them. At least, where I am, they're just happy to have me here for now. Then, when the wind changes, they won't be too terribly put out to see me go.

Strange logic, I know: stay still so I can leave. I'm not sure how well it would work, but I'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the handle of my umbrella has been trying to get my attention for a while now...

No comments:

Post a Comment