Monday, March 31, 2008

Who measures flour in decilitres?

That's what I want to know.

After almost a year of struggling with Estonian recipes, trying to figure out exactly what a "dl" is, I find out it stands for decilitre.

Decilitre.

Here I was, thinking it was some sort of Estonian cup measurement (like tl stands for teelusikas - otherwise known as a tea spoon). Somewhere, I had found a recipe that listed a 1/2dl as 60g, which made me even more convinced that it an Eastern European alternative to our Western cups (250ml - or 8floz).

No, it's decilitre. 100ml.

I don't know why I feel annoyed, but I do.

Plus, now I know what it is, I need to get a new measuring cup with 100ml marks so I can stop putting too much of everything into my recipes.

My attitude can best be summed up in one non-word:

Humph.

No comments:

Post a Comment