Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Reconciliation

More on dl:

Okay, I've calmed down slightly from my minor conniption the other day involving decilitres in Eastern European recipes.

After my initial "why would anyone measure flour in litres?" rant I remembered how much I hate recipes that measure dry ingredients in grams (or kilos, to keep with the litres).

Generally speaking, I avoid recipes that stipulate 135g flour or 200g sugar in favour of ones that ask for cup measurements due to the fact that I don't own a set of kitchen scales but I do have a perfectly adequate collection of measuring cups.

Now cups are, essentially, liquid measurements. It is, clearly, no less ridiculous to put 2dl of flour into a recipe than it would be to put 250ml (or 8floz - standard cup measurements in Australia).

In fact, it is much less obnoxious than trying to weigh all of your dry ingredients or guess how much of a cup 125g of breadcrumbs might be.

So, I guess, after all, this habit of measuring dry ingredients in decilitres is not only not ridiculous, but much more sensible than the way a lot of western Cook books do it.

So bring on the dl, you Eesti cookbooks. I'll buy a couple of new measuring cups.

1 comment:

  1. Ah well, you see, the problem with recipes asking for a cup of something is that you need the International Standards Organization to regulate cups.

    ReplyDelete