Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bats


It may come as no surprise to anyone, but I own a shirt with the Bat Logo on it. You know the logo I'm talking about, it's worn by a number of characters in the DC universe, including Batman.

Now, Batman is the most famous of the Batpeople, I accept that, but every time I wear the shirt someone feels compelled to call me Batman.

Yes, that's right: Batman.

I'd just like to point out something - not only does such a thing as Batgirl exist, but her "secret" identity is Barbara Gordon* - a redheaded librarian at the Gotham Library.

Now, a) I'm a girl - I may not be a terribly feminine one, but I still like to think the people I know have worked this out, b) I'm a librarian, c) I'm a redhead. Let's put all of those facts together and review the concept of the Bat Logo T-shirt.

Even if you don't know I'm a librarian, which you might not, surely the fact that I'm a woman would tip the scales in favour of Batgirl rather than Batman? You know, Batgirl? One of the most popular characters from the TV series and a character who has been in the comics since 1961?

I have two theories for why people would feel compelled to call me Batman whenever I wear the shirt. I don't like either of them, as they both cause me to lose respect for the people around me.

The first is that people are so blinded by the cut of the shirt that they cannot help but apply the incorrect gender to an otherwise ambiguous symbol. Yes, I tend to wear "classic" cut T-Shirts rather than fitted Ts. Once upon a time the classic cut shirts were considered to be unisex apparel and suitable for both sexes. These days it seems as though women are being excluded from that cut and are relegated to fitted Ts only. As per usual, I reject this reality and firmly embrace the concept that the T-Shirt is the ultimate example of egalitarian apparel.

The second theory is that people can't remember the existence of female superheros beyond Wonder Woman. For some reason, even though Supergirl and Batgirl have been around for decades (and Superwoman and Batwoman have also had recurring roles throughout the years), the average Joe on the street just can't accept the fact that they exist. Don't even try asking about the non-derivative heroes like Black Canary and Powergirl**.

Did you ever read the comics? Batgirl is there. Did you ever watch the TV series with Adam West? Batgirl is there. Did you ever watch that horrible, horrible movie starring George Clooney? Batgirl is there. She's all wrong, but she's there. And yet Batgirl doesn't seem to be sharing any real space with her male counterparts in the public consciousness. Sad, really.

* Yes, in the last 15 years the Batgirl identity has been shared by a number of "secret" identities. As far as I'm concerned she'll always be Barbara Gordon.

** You probably shouldn't try asking about Powergirl, it's just too confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment