Friday, March 19, 2010

Follow the music

Every now and then I hear of a musical instrument I have never encountered before, or I just get curious about one I heard of a long time ago, and I have to find out what they sound like.

So, I do what every good librarian does and look it up. The Internet's a great thing, isn't it?

However, the last few times I went looking for instruments, I found a few bands.

My curiosity about the autoharp lead me to discover Doofus and Catseye (why oh why won't Catseye put out a second album?) - who in turn lead me to discover CDbaby.com, through which I discovered Simple Gifts and Circe Link (okay, she's actually a person, not a band).

Recently, I've been curious about the nyckelharpa, which has lead me to discover Ranarim. I'm waiting to see what I find by following them...

By the way, nyckelharpas and autoharps are both instruments I will probably never play myself, due to the fact that they have an awful lot of strings which one would have to tune. Give me four strings any day of the week, and I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment