Friday, March 26, 2010

Mouses

The rule goes: for living things, ouse turns to ice for plurals (mouse - mice, grouse - grice, louse - lice), while for inanimate objects ouse turns to ouses (house - houses, scouse - scouses [that's "scouse" as in "stew", not as in "Liverpudlian"]).

Therefore, the answer to the question "what's the plural for 'computer mouse'?" is 'computer mouses'.

Now, having gotten that out of the way:

I currently hate all of my mouses. They all suck. My mouse at home is a dodgy little portable laptop mouse that doesn't even have a scroll function on it (I gave my "good mouse" to my mother along with my old computer), and it has recently decided that, even though I can find nothing wrong with it, responding appropriately to movement is not high on its agenda. My mouse on my desk at work scrolls nicely, but has also decided this whole "moving the pointer when the mouse is moved" thing is overrated. The mouse at the reference desk is cordless and the batteries are at that stage where they don't want to work all the time, but they don't want to stop working enough to warrant new batteries...

In short, I am surrounded by mouses that are annoying the heck out of me.

To make matters worse, the other day I tried one of those new "mighty mouse" things at shop and it was really good. Those are nice mouses, I have to say. I really want one, but I really don't want to spend $99 for the privilege of having it. Yet, now I can't see the point of buying another mouse which won't be as nice.

So, I'm stuck with crappy annoying mouses and I can't bring myself to by a new one as they'll either be a) to expensive, or b) not as good as the one that's too expensive.

I think I'd be better off with mice.

2 comments:

  1. From the moment I got my laptop in 2005 I adapted to operating sans mouse. Of course that's not possible without a touch pad but whenever I have to use a desktop I find operating the mouse a lil awkward. Then I look forward to returning to my touch pad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually using a laptop at home. I just have it set up like a desktop. I find the touchpads are comfortable enough to use on a lap, but at a desk I like the extra freedom of movement a mouse can provide. When working, that is.

    ReplyDelete