Wednesday, June 23, 2010

2-1 and Nobody Wins

There was a point, during the last three minutes of the game, when I wanted my team to concede a goal.

Yes, I know that would mean not winning a game at all during this round, but...

But without Germany giving a decent thrashing to Ghana there was no way we could make up the goal difference. In those last three minutes, even if we won, we would still really lose.

BUT...

But if we had given one more goal to Serbia and allowed a draw - if we had let them have that one point - then Serbia would have gone through to the next round.

Winning the match won us nothing. Losing it lost them everything.

Maybe it's not in the spirit of international competition. I don't know. But I thought Serbia deserved to go through. Much more so than Ghana, who have survived so far with luck more than skill.

It was good to end on a win, but I would have felt better about it all if we had given the point to the other team. Then maybe Germany wouldn't have been the only team to win anything during the last two games of Group Four.

By the way, seeing as it really is all Germany's fault we didn't go through to the next round (they should have either scored fewer goals against us or more against Ghana), I think it behoves every Australia to find a German and tell them they suck.

Ihre Mannschaft ist doofe.

No comments:

Post a Comment