Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hole in the Ground

The shape of it's wrong, it's much too long - and you can't put a hole where a hole don't belong

For future reference, the incident known as "the ditch" was a Zen activity. It was not a failed attempt at creating a garden.

Sure, it may have looked, on the surface, as if I plotted a vegetable garden in the back yard, dug half of it out one day, then left a gaping hole in the ground for several weeks before eventually giving up and filling it back it, but that's not what happened.

I did not dig half a hole, which looked suspiciously like a ditch, then get rained out, then get sick, and then get lazy. I did not decide, after going to all the effort of digging half the intended garden bed, that I really didn't have time for such shenanigans after all and abandon the thing. I also did not wait several weeks after deciding to pack it all in before finally getting around to putting the dirt back in the hole. I certainly did not leave said dirt sitting in the back corner of the yard long enough to have new plants establish themselves in that dirt, or for an earthworm colony to develop a nest in there.

Mind you, those worms were pretty interesting. As were the other grubs, centipedes and legless lizards I found digging around in that stuff. If I was a badger I would have had a field day.

But I was only digging around in that dirt for the sake of a Zen exercise. You know: "dig a hole and fill it back in". The whole thing was completely deliberate. The length of time between digging the whole and filling it back in was to make sure I truly appreciated the circle of life. Or something like that.

So, not a failed gardening attempt. And, no, that thing in my backyard is not a grave. At least, not literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment