Monday, January 10, 2011

Italian

I just want to make it clear: I am not learning Italian.

I'm already learning two languages, and when I'm reasonably proficient with those I'll think about learning some more. And the "next on the list" spots are already taken with useful languages like French and Russian.

I don't really need to learn another language that is only spoken in one country. (Well, it's also spoken in Switzerland* and technically San Marino and Vatican City are also Italian speaking countries, but whatever). I'm already doing that with Estonian. I want languages with mileage. Granted, Italy is much bigger than Estonia, has more people in it and a bigger diaspora, so it technically offers more mileage than Estonian, but that's beside the point.

Oh, yeah, and I guess a lot more people here in Australia speak Italian as a first language (especially in North Queensland) than Estonian, so technically it has more mileage even in my own, English speaking country.

But... but...

But he doesn't know the territory!

Oh, sorry, that was a line from The Music Man. I'll try to make sure future outburst make more sense.

Anyway, this existential linguistic angst is all the iPod's fault. That, and Rex. I've been exploring the wonderful world of Learning Languages via podcast ever since I got the iPod to play with, and one of my favourite discoveries is ItalianPod.com. You have to pay for the full programme, but you can get most of the "newbie" lessons for free.

It's such a lovely, simple concept - they have a few key words, which are incorporated into short dialogues. The dialogues are repeated three times, then the grammar and vocabulary are discussed by the "hosts" of the programme. Then you hear the dialogues another three (this time knowing exactly what it means), and there's a bit of a cultural discussion. That's it. Fifteen minutes later you're finding yourself saying words like "andiamo" and "è vicina".

And then, of course, you catch some Italian televion or a movie, or hear someone talking in Italian in the street, and you hear "andiamo" and think - "Hey, I know that word!" And you do. It's not just that you've heard it before, you actually do remember that "andiamo" means "let's go". Because it wasn't just presented, but was actually discussed in a conversation, the word sticks with you.

Oh, and despite my best intentions, I've started watching Rex in Rome. Turns out even the unlikely spin-offs of Kommissar Rex are more entertaining than most of the pap they show on TV these days. I really should keep an eye out for Stockinger if they ever show it on SBS again.

So, yes, I'm kind of learning a little bit of Italian completely against my will - but that's only because one of my main sources of German** audio-linguistic input is now Italian, and the Praxis language people responsible for ItalianPod.com haven't got a German version. They've got French, Spanish and Chinese, but not German. I'm bitterly disapointed, because I like what they do enough to be willing to pay for the full package. Heck, I'm sorely tempted to pay for the Italian package anyway.

But I won't, of course, because I'm not learning Italian.

Presto, scappiamo!


* I find it interesting that it doesn't really matter what European language you learn, you will probably be able to use it in Switzerland.

** Okay, so it was Viennese, not strictly German. Who cares? It's better than nothing, and Rex rocks.

*** Do you realise that if you learnt the languages used in both versions of Inspector Rex, you'd be completely set for living in Switzerland?

No comments:

Post a Comment