Thursday, April 14, 2011

Language Learning Can Be Fun

And sometimes it just hurts my head.

Especially Estonian. There are days when I think I finally understand something with this crazy-stupid language, only to realise that the logical connections I have made were running on the wrong logic, and I actually don't have a clue.

Take imperatives, which I've been working on lately with my tutor. I read the rules in a grammar book, and think "Okay, I've got that. It's unnecessarily complicated, but I've got it". Then I find out they don't apply to irregular verbs - but only certain irregular verbs.

I'm looking at two irregular verbs and trying to work out what the difference is between them - why one would use the stem of the present tense and the other would use the stem of the -ma infinitive - and I can't quite convey to my tutor what it is I'm having trouble with. To her it all seems perfectly logical.

--The second one is an irregular verb - that's why.
--But aren't they both irregular verbs?
--Yes, but the second one is a complete spelling change, while the other is an internal change.
--In the first word the present tense form only has one letter in common with it's infinitive - and the second word also has letters in common with the infinitive...
--Yes, but the second one is an irregular verb.
--But so is the first word. Is it because the first letter is the same for both the present tense stem and the infinitive in the first word?
--It's just because the second word is "go", we'll move on now.

I've been trying to talk myself out of the mindset that Estonian is wrong. I often look at the rules and say to myself (and anyone within earshot) "That's just daft. Why would anyone do that?" But I have to remind myself that the language just works on a different logic to English, and I'll have a better chance of 'getting' it if I stop resisting it.

But I went home after my Estonian lesson the other night and listened to a couple of Italianpod podcasts last night, just to stop my head from hurting. I find the newbie Italian lessons relaxing and simple, and somehow refreshing after trying to wrap my mind around Estonian grammar.

Not that I'm learning Italian. I am so not learning Italian. German and Estonian are enough for this year. Seriously.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not quite sure I understood what your problem was. Is this related to ma v. da verbs or something about stem-mutation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. More to do with trying to work out whether things are as they are because of the rules or as exceptions to the rules. Two verbs that both appear to belong in the same category are treated differently, and I want to know if there is a reason for that (something I'll need to know in order to apply it to other verbs) or if it's just one of the quirks of the language.

    ReplyDelete