Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Mother's Car

I'm currently using my mother's car while my uncle is borrowing mine. His ute is currently being serviced, and I have a station wagon so he borrows my car to take his dogs around.

We've done this on more than one occasion in the past. Usually I take the bike while he has my car, but this time the weather is not bike friendly and my mother is on vacation, so I have her car.

I do not like driving my mother's car. It's like a box with a few slits in it. I can't see anything that isn't directly in front of me. I look over my shoulders, and all I can see is the interior of the car. I glance behind me in the mirror, and (unless I have the angle just right) all I can see is the interior of the car. The little tiny windows that exist are almost entirely obscured by the headrests of the seats.

If I took the time to peer out of the small patches of glass available to me, I might be able to see something, but by that stage in time I probably would have run over something in front of me...

Also, the lines of the car are so bad that I can't tell what the dimensions are while sitting inside. I don't know where the front of the car starts, I have no sense for how wide the thing is and if someone is too close behind me I can't gauge how far I am from the front of their car.

I'm mildly convinced I'm going to hurt someone. Probably run over a cyclist, or something.

Who designs these cars? Why do they think it's a good idea to steadily reduce the visibility until the car is basically a giant blind spot? Why aren't people stopping them from doing that?

No comments:

Post a Comment