Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Squashed between two camels


At some point in my youth I heard someone sing a spoof of the song "Torn Between Two Lovers", replacing the keywords of that phrase with "Squashed Between Two Camels".

To whit:

Squashed between two camels,
Feeling like a fool...


I can't remember if there was ever any more to the song than that, but ever since then whenever I feel "torn between two" options, I find myself wanting to sing that line of the song, and then it always ends up turning into the camels.

I am currently torn between two bicycles: The Brompton and the Bike Friday New World Traveller (BF-NWT).

They are both at the top of the game, both have great reviews and they each have great advantages that the other one doesn't have.

Here's what I'm stuck on:

I have a trip to Europe in mind, and I would like to be able to take the bike with me. I want the bike to be easily and readily transportable by plane, train and bus, but also capable of a spot of self-contained touring.

That is, I want to be able to fly into a country, unpack the bike, take everything I need on or with the bike to my hotel if I want to, or just shove everything in the back of a taxi if I prefer. I then want to be able to carry everything on the bike to the next town over, if the next town is less than 100km away (my preferred distance for a day's ride is half that), or pack everything up and take a train if the next town I'm going to is longer, or if I'm in a hurry.

Now, in terms of self-contained touring, the BF-NWT looks like it's at the top of the game. It's clearly designed for such things, it looks sturdy and it has nice fat tyres and plenty of braze-ons for bits and bobs and bags. It also has the ability to be packed in a custom-made trunk which can be converted into a trailer.

You pack the bike in the trunk, put it on the plane (or whatever), unpack it at the other end, convert the trunk into a trailer and attached it to the bike, then shove your luggage into the trailer and ride off.

Sounds great, except that you have to disassemble the bike every time you want to pack it. And the fold isn't that great. It folds a bit, but not as well as the Brompton.

The Brompton, on the other hand, is largely heralded as one of the best designed folding bikes in the world - and it looks it. It has a fantastic fold - and you just put it in the bag as is. This greatly appeals to me, as it means there's less I can stuff up. All I have to do is fold the bike exactly how you are supposed to fold it and put it away. I don't have to keep track of parts, I don't have to worry about putting something together the wrong way...

While I've always been fond of assembling things (I couldn't help myself when the penny-farthing arrived - I had to put it together myself even though I had intended to let professionals do it), I can't shake the feeling that having someone with my level of dexterity continually assemble and disassemble something in a variety of unfamiliar locations is just asking for trouble.

Plus, it does add time to preparing for things like boarding a train or a bus. The Brompton just seems much better suited to riding up to the train station and hopping more-or-less directly onto the train...

So, while the Bike Friday looks like the better touring bike, the Brompton looks like the better travelling bike. I'm just completely hung up on that point - If I could fold the BF-NWT more effectively and put it in the travel case without having to take it apart every single time.

So, effectively, both bikes tick boxes that I want - they just don't tick all the same boxes.

So darn hard. Seriously, why can't someone just combine the two?

No comments:

Post a Comment