Monday, October 24, 2011

Brown, Gold, Grey and Yungaburra

Just some random stuff for a Tuesday:

Yungaburra is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to eat there.

I just spent a week in a Yungaburra as a cross between a holiday and a swot-vac. Didn't do as much swotting as I'd have liked, but did some - which was better than nothing. I have to say I was not impressed with the food on offer. It's a sad state of affairs when a perfectly normal, ordinary cafe is the best place to get food in a town.

I didn't try every eating establishment, it must be said, but I did hit all of the major contenders (except the one I was told to avoid). The words "over priced" and "not that great" are the only ways I can describe the food on offer. Some were better than others. None were really cheap. And never get the pies from that place across the road from Nicks. It may be their advertised "speciality", but the pie I had was rubbish.

I had my hair cut while I was there and decided to dye it brown. I have been threatening to dye my hair since I was a teenager, but have always chickened out. It doesn't help that every time I've walked into a hairdressers' establishment, the first thing they do is comment on the natural colour of my hair. This time I just decided to go for it.

May as well take my most interesting feature and get rid of it for a while. See what happens when I'm no longer the girl with "all that red hair". It's short, it's brown and it's actually pretty good. The eating in Yungaburra isn't too flash, but the hairdresser knows what she's doing (her name is Jane and she works at Jools).

Before I left for Yungaburra, Condorman visited Brownsville and gave me a T-Shirt that he'd found in one of his scavanging expeditions. It's a "Booster Gold Fan Club" T-Shirt, and the fact that a) it exists, and b) I own one just makes me inordinately happy. Due to washing schedules I couldn't wear it before I left on holidays, so I wore it to work today. Originally it was under a more suitable work shirt, but the fluctuating climate in the library has lead me to abandon any attempt to look professional and I've just been wearing the T-Shirt "openly" for the afternoon.

Probably won't be doing that again. I already barely look professional with my normal wardrobe, which is something I think I should work on. Wearing a "Booster Gold Fan Club" T-Shirt is kind of killing whatever professional cred I might have had.

I finished listening to the Isis Audiobooks edition of Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey on the drive back from Yungaburra. After spending a good six hours in the company of Eddie Russet and co, it seems very strange to inhabit a world where people don't live in a society obsessed with colour and organised along lines similar to a Scout camp. That, and I have to remind myself that "Munsell's hoo-ha!" is not a real cuss word and people probably wouldn't be on the same page if I started using it.

I have to say I think it's my favourite Fforde book so far, and I thought Gareth Armstrong did a fantastic reading. I do believe he's now my favourite reader, and I honestly don't know whether I want to buy the book or the audiobook (I had borrowed my copy from the local library, and must sadly return it). Mind you, the ending was a bit of a downer. They are, I believe, expecting to continue the story in later books, so it will be interesting to see where Fforde takes it.

Just don't be too surprised if I start expressing shock and/or surprise with sayings like "Munsell in a canoe!"

No comments:

Post a Comment