Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Pointy End...

So, I've got my first fencing bruises. I haven't actually had a fencing bout yet, but I have been practising moves against people who aren't entirely sure about where to stand while "fake" lunging.

It's kind of cool, actually. It's starting to feel like I'm involved in a real sport, rather than a series of Tai Chi-style exercises. Can't wait until I get on the wrong side of a pointy-stick for real. You're never really engaged in a physical activity until you've got the bruises to show for it.

Also, I'm getting muscles. I noticed them the other day. The kind of muscles where you move your arm and think - "wait a minute, was that some sort of definition?" I feel all athletic, or something. It's like I'm actually using my arms for a change.

Sport is cool, yeah? I like sport. I should have done sport ages ago.

I finally took the penny-farthing out for a spin the other day - not long, because it was getting dark and I don't have any lights on the bike (or brakes, but who needs 'em?). It had been so long since I've done anything with it that I thought I'd have to go back to basics and focus on getting on and off the thing without hurting myself - but it turns out it's just like riding a bike: you never really forget.

In fact, I think my balance was actually a bit better than the last time I rode it. I have no idea how that would have happened, seeing as I've given up most of the things that encourage me to balance.

By the way, this is an interesting thing with Google maps. If you go to 38 Marine Pde in Cottesloe, Perth, and drag your Streetview man to the yellow strip closest to the house... you see nothing of any interest at all.

However, if you drag your little Streetview man to the strip closest to the beach and turn to face the same house, you will see a woman riding a penny-farthing and towing a stuffed penguin.

It's very strange - they seem to have taken the photos on two different days, and for some reason you land in a different photo based on what side of the street you pick.

The woman apparently tows the penguin to stabilise the bike and make sure she doesn't flip over if she has to stop suddenly. If you rode a penny-farthing, you would totally understand the logic in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment