Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Sporting

You know, I think my teenage self and I would not get along very well.

For one thing, she thought that sport was terribly boring, the sports pages were a waste of newspaper space and people who talked about sport were dull (and probably devoid of real intelligence).

Why watch sport when there are plays?  Who needs football if you have Shakespeare?

And now?  Now I will actively choose to go to a sporting match rather than a musical.  Partly because I loves me my sports, and partly because I can see a football game for $10, while the musical will cost me $45.

The sports pages are pretty much the only part of the newspaper I read.  That, and the comics (which I always loved, so there's no big change there).

And I blog about sport.  I yammer on pointlessly about baseball and lawn bowls.

What's with that?

It's not as if anyone I know would actually be interested in reading about that crap.  Most of my friends did not inherit the "mad about sport" gene.  Somewhere along the lines, though, my DNA just sucked it right out of the air.

When did this happen?  How did this happen?

I'm enjoying it.  There's lots of sport in the world and it's really fun to watch and read about.

It just doesn't make any sense at all that I would go from "Pffft!  Sport is so boring!" to "Yay sport!  Sport is totally awesome!"

Do other people do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment