Monday, July 28, 2014

Eternal Winters


Tallinn cityview CC BY-SA 3.0 Zigomar - Own work


So, Disney's been doing this thing lately where they give their films one-word titles with a lot of nuances and multiple meanings:  Tangled, Brave, Frozen...

When those movies are switched into different languages, the new movie is often given a new title to fit the new market.  For example, Tangled was retitled "Rapunzel" in many non-English versions.

Hmm.  Calling a movie about Rapunzel "Rapunzel".  Who would have thought of such a thing?

Anyway, "Frozen", being loosely based on "The Snow Queen" is being called (you guessed it)  "The Snow Queen" in various translations.

The Estonian version (which I'll probably end up buying - I do like my Disney in Estonian) is called "Lumekuninganna ja Igavene Talv" - which translates as "The Snow Queen and the Eternal Winter".

The Eternal Winter?

Last I checked, "eternal" meant more than "two days - possibly three, max".

This is why I wanted the story to play out over a longer time period.  Okay, so the summer suddenly turns into the deepest, most snow-filled winter you've ever seen.  Day one, you'll be all "my, this is unexpected!"  Day two might see you crank up to "I haven't darned my socks since last winter, but fortunately I live near the Arctic so I've got plenty of blankets".  If you're agriculturally minded you may be thinking "but the crops!  They won't like this at all!"  Day three you may make it to "Do we have enough food if this lasts?"

At some point that week you'll be thinking "we should find the queen and tell her to knock it off."

Personally, I don't think you'll get to "we must stop this Eternal Winter no matter what it takes" until after at least a week.

But then, maybe I have more patience than most...

No comments:

Post a Comment