Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bussid

Oh, yeah. I meant to tell you about the busses.

Since my last post on public transport in Townsville, several things have happened. Some quite useful, some not-so-much.

Shortly after my post complaining that it was impossible to walk up to a bus stop and find out what buses might stop there, the bus stops were magically updated with pieces of paper giving a rough idea of routes and buses. Some even provide maps to show where these buses might foreseeably go.

However, they also altered the time-tables so that buses which would once stop in my area at 20 minutes past the hour were now stopping at 20 minutes to the hour. Also, bus routes were altered (and given completely different numbers), so that buses which once lead from streets quite near my house to my place of employment now only go half so far, and one would need to change buses to make the rest of the journey. And while two buses that do go all the way to my work pass through my neighbourhood, they reach points equidistant to my house at the same time, meaning I can't miss one bus and hurry to catch the other (as I might have been able to do on the old time-table).

So, on the one hand, I know know exactly which buses I need to take to get to work, and where I need to be to catch them. Das ist gut. On the other hand, I now have to get up half-an-hour earlier and skip breakfast if I want to catch a bus that will get me to work on time, where I wouldn't have had to do that before. Das ist nicht gut.

So, my plans to take the bus to work and walk home have been stymied. I have, of occasion (since my last post on the subject), walked to work and taken the bus home. This has proven to be quite successful, in spite of the fact that every person I talk to looks at me as if I'm absolutely crazy.

Them: You walked here? (As they give me a look that implies I may as well have said I levitated the whole way)
Me: Yes.
Them: How are you getting home?
Me: I'm taking a bus
Them: Are you sure? (As they give me a look that implies they want to say: "But buses are the spawn of the Devil, and will certainly take you to your doom!")

The buses in Townsville are actually pretty good, close to 6pm. There's hardly anyone trying to catch a bus at that time, so the buses are usually running a bit fast, and largely empty. Plus, the buses are quite clean and well kept. The seats aren't that comfortable, but you get that.

This, of course, doesn't actually solve my problem regarding having to plan such trips a day in advance to make sure I have a change of clothes at work. I guess you get that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment