Sunday, July 25, 2010

Thank You for the (Sound of) Music

First of all, let me say that I am bitterly disappointed with all of you. I deliberately got one of my facts wrong in my re-telling of The Sound of Music for my post on Wonder Woman as Sister Maria (because the point I wanted to make worked better with a slightly different version), and no one corrected me.

Maria was, of course, not raised in an all-girl convent-run boarding school. She grew up in a rural community on/near the mountains, through which she would rove as a child, and 'twas as she was running about on the mountains that she first saw the convent and heard the nuns singing and though "I'd like to do that when I grow up".

I was expecting at least one person to point out the error, but no one did. Shocking, really. You should all feel vaguely ashamed.

I watched the film again over the weekend just passed. 'Twas an interesting weekend, as I watched Mamma Mia the night before. Two musicals in two days can have strange consequences.

Saturday night I had a dream that they decided to re-make The Sound of Music using ABBA songs. In the dream, it didn't really go into more detail beyond having the kids perform "Super Trouper" with puppets instead of "Lonely Goatherd" (which worked surprisingly well - especially with the slight 'oom-pa-pa' flavour of the song).

As is the way with such things, I woke up thinking "that could totally work!", and spend the rest of the day realising it really couldn't. Not as a direct swap, song-for-song, at any rate. You'd have to re-write the script to put different songs into different places.

But, still, part of me really wants to see the Family von Trapp singing "Fernando" for their concert. Oh, and Liesl and Rolf should sing "SOS" for their Gazebo scene, while Maria and the Captain can sing "The Name of the Game" for theirs... Or maybe "I Do, I Do, I Do"...

Okay, so I can't think of a single ABBA song that can really replace "Something Good" for that scene. And, yes, all of the original songs are better than anything you could replace them with. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment